Wednesday, May 5, 2010

caregiver

read on... robert schimmel mentioned quite a bit on caregiver. sometimes i wonder, is it possible to hv a cancer patient like me (who need to go thru chemo, radio and chemo) going without a caregiver? i guess this is a tough question to answer.

robert was a divorcée and he was in a good relationship with another girl. it took him less than 24hr to break off with his girlfriend and go back to his ex-wife becos 1) he wanted to spend his possibly remaining life with his children, 2) he think his wife made a better caregiver and 3) he couldn't bear to get his girlfriend involved.

caregiver. what a word.

before this, i never thought what this simple word really means. if not relating to any illness, i guess this is probably one of the sweetest word in the world. yet it become so bitter and sour when we link it to life and death.

this reminds me of myself repeatedly asking my wife if she wants a divorce. i know it's a stupid question. whether is it duty, responsibility, conscience, love or humanity, it's so difficult to make such a decision, even for the most cold-blooded person. i was just hoping that she was rational enough to visualise the possibility of becoming a widow at her young age or the burden which she's going to carry with her until dunno when. again, it's a common point i found between robert and me; i can't bear to get my wife involved too.

if who i hv now is just a girl friend, my decision would be damn clear, even if that means i'm going to lose my caregiver. i can't do the same to my wife. forcing her into a divorce would be more cruel than having me dying in her arms. reason is simple, becos we r married.

so... just like the so many cancer patients out there, i hv a caregiver too, and that's my wife. she tendered her resignation and will be working until end of this month. after that my full time caregiver. going without one is no longer an option, just hope that i will only require minimal care throughout my treatment.


No comments:

Post a Comment