Wednesday, June 9, 2010

D Day

we woke up at 0600 in the morning. a little bit lack of sleep, we washed up and left home at 0645.

since day 1 my diagnosis till today, this is the first time my wife keep me company to the hospital.

the clinic took quite a long while to process incoming patients. though we were there punctually, my blood sample was taken at 0800 and i only got to see the doctor at around 1000. Dr. DL was on leave, what a disappointment. the lady doctor who stood in for Dr. DL didn't seems to bother much.

anyway, i didn't expect much from this consultation either. after 3 wks of break, it is only reasonable that my body should be ready for chemo. so as expected, i may proceed with the chemo tomorrow.

becos this stupid doctor was late, we didn't get enough time to grab a bite. after the consultation, we gotto rush to department of radiation oncology (which happened to be quite far from ncc) for my radiotherapy. good thing is i didn't need to wait long. bad thing is of course, my radiotherapy started.

the radio room is like a den to me, and i'm the lion going to be tied in the den. the entrance looks like a huge cave with some kind of automatic door just like the one mentioned in alibaba story.

i was directed into the room, removed my headdress, and lied down on a platform. the 2 radiographers tied the mask to my head, no blind fold, no infusion, except no movement during the process. any discomfort, raise the hand, they have surveillance cameras monitoring the room.

i wasn't that nervous compared to the MRI scan. this time i tried to focus on my fingers and toes. at least they were movable. then... the treatment started.

20 minutes was indeed a bit too long. i thought maybe writing something would be a good way to keep myself occupied. then i started to write The Heart Sutra (with my finger, on the platform). this turned out to be a very good solution. i remained very calm after i wrote the entire sutra once. then i continued to write it the second time. halfway thru the second time, 20 minutes up. no panic attack, no anxiety. my first session of radio finished just like that. during the process, no pain, no discomfort.

after the process, just feeling very tired. took a 2hrs afternoon nap, but didn't seems to help much. i wasn't too sure whether it's due to the therapy or becos woke up too early in the morning. maybe i'll know the answer after a few more sessions.




No comments:

Post a Comment