Thursday, June 10, 2010

double-shot

D+2. it wasn't that bad before i left for hospital. today i had some time to eat some light breakfast, had a mug of honey before i step out the house. my radio therapy is on 0830.

the radiologist mentioned that during radio+chemo days, the patient will hv super high priority in the hospital. when i reached department of radiation oncology, i was slightly late and the waiting area was packed with pple. yet, i was the first one who got called. privileged. hahaha...

this time round, i wasn't that nervous any more. since yesterday i'd gone through it. whatever going happened today should be the same.

i started writing the same sutra the moment the therapy started. i didn't know how much time had passed. when i finished the entire sutra for the first round, the radiologist came in. i was wondering how could it be so fast today. then he explained, "sorry sir, there's some problem with the machine. it needs more time to warm up. so today's treatment would be slightly longer, probably 10 minutes more. if u can't tolerate, u can just raise ur hand and we will step in."

F**KING SHIT. if i can't tolerate i shall raise my middle finger. r u trying to tell me what i'd gone thru just now is a no count? is that my F**KING PROBLEM?

well, these were just voices in my heart. since i was in the mask. it's either i raise my middle finger and embarass all of us, or i keep my mouth shut and "take the challenge". i chose the latter.

i thought if i could take this lengthened session, then in future i should hv no problem at all with the normal radio therapy. this would be a good opportunity to overcome my phobia.

everything started again. i patiently wrote my sutra again. occasionally i stopped to listen to the music playing in the room. it was then i realised the music they were playing were rather sentimental. some of the songs deem a bit sad for the patient. i wonder any patient got affected and went hysterical. hahaha...

this time round i only managed to finish the sutra once, probably becos i was writing slowly. it's over. yeah! radio? no problem!

immediately after the radio, we went over to ATU for my chemo. again the radiologist didn't lie to me. i waited less than 10 minutes and they pulled me in (cutting the super duper long queue) so that i could lie comfortably on the couch while waiting for the chemicals to be prepared.

the nurse came to explained to us about cisplatin chemotherapy. it sounded quite similar to the GCP chemo treatment except for 2 additional, oso the most horrifying ones: vomit and problem in passing urine.

the vomitting part, the nurse gave me some medications, instructed me how to use the drugs. this time round, no more "if necessary", it's compulsory.

the cisplatin causes a very heavy workload to the kidney, as such kidney failure is one of the possibilities side effect. it's also becos of this, during the process when cisplatin is infused into the body, a high amount of saline is infused in as well. by the end of the treatment, the patient should pass out 2 litre of urine before he could be discharged from the chemo (so that he is considered temporarily safe from kidney failure).

the treatment went though quite smoothly except.... i got problem passing that amount of urine. the reason is simple. during phase 1, usually before chemo i tried not to drink any water, so that during the treatment i didn't have to go toilet. i nvr expect the cisp chemo to be the other way round. before the treatment started, i went to toilet a few times to clear all the urine in my body. so before i started my treatment, i was indifferent from a dried mummy.

when i was told i need to passed 2 litres of urine, i told my wife to gave me the bottle of honey she prepared for me. i gulped everything in at one go. then the nurse told me that she'd need to add the quantity of the honey into the amount of urine before they can discharge me. so that made it 2.6 litre!! SHIT...

my treatment finished at 1245. but becos of this urine issue, i was confined until 1345. my poor wife almost bored to death. so what happened at 1345? did i successfully passed out 2.6 litres? no. i only passed out 2.2 litres. they closed one eye and let me go. well if a person could pass out 2.2 litres of urine in 2 hours, i doubt any body can question his renal functionalities.

it's now 2030 at night. i'm feeling quite horrible with the runny nose and non-stop sneezing. also, i'm feeling more tired than before. i just feel like lying down and do nothing. no appetite, no mood, no desire. i'm struggling to finish this post becos i know u want to know how am i doing. i need to stop here and take some rest. the war has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment