Monday, June 21, 2010

Week 15

if u read my blog and thought that what i'd gone thru was horrible and intolerable, then psychologically u may be too weak to continue. becos what happened over the weekend was worse than before. i finally seen the true colors of NPC treatment. now i understand why r there so many NPC support groups, why r there so many posters in NCC encouraging and providing tips just for NPC patients. now i know why. becos it's just a weekend, and i felt like giving up.

friday, i had a bad burning sensation at my abdominal area. it was so bad that i spent most of the day curling my body on the bed, doing nothing but perspiring. saturday morning, the burning sensation was gone after a night of sleep. i was hit by the nauseated feeling. saturday night, my wife and i went downstairs to eat kway chap, i lost almost 100% of my tasting capability. i stared at the kway chap, everything was tasteless. the tao pok taste like charcoal, the pig intestine taste like rubberbands, the kway taste like pvc. i paid $6 for the kway chap (suppose to be for myself only), but i didn't even manage to finish a quarter of it.

at that time i felt like crying. i felt really lousy and helpless. not so much on the change of taste, but i seems to lost the ability to eat. i ate about 20 percent my normal food portion and i was full!

sunday, i lunched out with my wife. i wanted to try other food. u know, maybe the kway chap is tasteless. all the NPC support groups also encourage patients to try out diff food. No miracle. it turned out that the only taste that is still loyal to my taste bud is sourness. lime juice is the only thing that is tasty to me.

apart from changing of taste and drastic change in appetite, my throat had become so dry that no matter how much water i drink can never relieve. my mouth had become so dry that my tongue turned white and the food that i'd eaten earlier on turned into a foul and sour pungent in the mouth, no matter how many times i rinse my mouth and how much water i drink. this worsen the nauseated feeling.

i understand that my good times had ended. this is just the beginning. it's going to be tougher than this.


1 comment:

  1. Sight, Hearing, Taste, Smell and Touch are the main five human senses. I know this is a terrible stage for you when you almost lost your "Taste" sense. This is not going to be easy but you need to distract yourself ... direct yourself to use the remaining 4 more frequent as a result. Try look out for good books to read or listen to good music. At the end of the day, what you need to achieve is to focus less on the lost and focus more on what you have not lose and able to do. Be strong my friend.

    ReplyDelete